Sunday, September 30, 2007

Infinite Realms of Imagination Part 1: Video Games



Foreword: I just don't get the Chinese government. The idea of not responding seriously to the situation in Myanmar/Burma is almost apathetically airheaded. I mean, frankly I do have some Chinese blood, and it makes me question if us Chinese people just don't really care less about the things around us, or if we're really use our "friendship" for something that only benefits us. I'm not negatively stereotyping here, but it makes me think, and this thinking is like a slandering toxic (scratching my head at the same time).

Well, I do believe I'm sort of beyond schedule of my posting time, which is Wednesday, roundabout 3 days ago, and in that timespan I've been collecting heart to write my blog entry for this week as soon as I can, but I am just too unwilling to do so. In which it is a bad habit for IB. Go ahead, Miss J. Hate me. Kill me.
Anyways. Back to the topic.

I just can't help it--I was born to love video games. I'm not really who I am now if it hadn't influenced me since I first got my hands on a laptop-toy-of-sorts when I was around 1st grade that taught me this English I use to write my blog now. I am not an fourth-generation gamer or below, but I live around the end of that era: say, SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System,), Sega Saturn, Super Famicom, Neo Geo, to name a few. Ah, yes, how I remember vividly the glorious olden days of 16 to 32-bits of moving graphics that paved the prestige of video gaming to what we now call as the seventh generation of video game consoles, our time; the time of the over-expensive and slightly over-futuristic Playstation 3, in which I first heard of 5 years ago talking about it in Chapel time, the time of Nintendo Wii in which reality gaming is just taking another baby-step and we say adieu to Virtual Boy and its monochromatic spectrum that now bores me to death in just a matter of seconds, and of course the time of XBox 360 which is undoubtedly far more attractive and cheaper (Amen to that, Gary?) than its over-futuristic competitor who apparently set the wrong marketing strategy despite its torture to the R&D department.
Right now, I possess in my vicinity consoles of only as far as the sixth generation , which are Playstation 2, Xbox, and Gameboy Advance, as well as the tip of the seventh, namely the Nintendo DS, and a Wii is expected to storm my house sometime near. The irony of being a well-bred, experienced gamer having a slow progress in generation upgrading is so thick you can cut it with a knife. But nevertheless, I do admit that I played most of the games, seen what they look like, played what they offer, and heard what they sing. I know my first PlayStation 2 game, and now I compare to a game that was just released a month ago as a closing goodbye to the sixth generation, and I have seen much improvement, and such an improvement it was.
I look back to my early years. I have an SNES at my disposal. I played the titles that made Nintendo one mega-gaming company of its own today--Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Mario, Street Fighter, to name among a few--my power adapter once got burned because of playing too much (evidence for constantly wearing my glasses all these years). And then I think of Gameboy, which was in the form of a purple, semi-transparent Game Boy Color I got from my uncle at the end of 1999 in France where I also celebrated the eve of 2000 near the Eiffel Towel. I played Super Mario Bros. and Mario Golf like there was no other console more advanced than that. And now, when I look at my ebony black Nintendo DS, I realized that my journey of gaming has gone so far into this. And those flashbacks stir around your brain and you remember the good days of playing various games, how you missed some, how you wish it would never exist again, how you would die to have one more chance playing it again for the sake of nostalgia, I began to value and cherish some of those moments.
It is absolutely surprising. Within a timespan of less than 30 years , the video gaming industry has rapidly evolved like bacteria, from the monochromatic Pong to the groundbreaking Mario Bros. (originally Jumpman) and finally to the ethereal Final Fantasy series, you may as well guess what's next in the next 5 years. Perhaps there may be a PS4 coming up in just three years. perhaps the long-sought prophecy of holographic gaming may just come true when I'm Head of Department somewhere, someday.
The world of video gaming is constantly changing and improving as humans continue to solve the unsolvable and think the unthinkable. It may improve for the greater and latter good, but it may as well destroy. As long as it will continue, so will I constantly grip my hand firm on the progress of this outspoken phenomena bordering unholy in its presence to the world. On a more cynical side, more of my precious time which may be used for (seemingly and pretentiously) valuable academic and scholastic activities will be wasted as an opportunity cost (taking into account that I'm not an Economics student) of my eternal interests, this among one of them. But as someone once said, grades are of no eternal value.


......Hey, what about the mystery of permanent records then?




Song of the Day - "La Mer" by Coba

Literally translated as "the sea", and is an opening song for a video came called Suikoden IV, I fell in love with this song as soon as my eardrums finished hearing this amazing song. Although video game music experts say it is a first-class effort in trying to live up to its predecessor song, "Transcending Love" in Suikoden III, by all means was this song worth hearing. What makes the song have its own "wow" factor was the accordion, which greatly enhanced the feeling of the vastness of the open ocean, backed up by good acoustics that had great harmony with the accordion.
This is yet another instrumental, so perhaps I'll do a song with lyrics on my next post, just for the sake of being more lengthy.

The frog agrees.
Cheerio.

Regards from the schizophrenically psychotic retard,
Yoga Pradana A.K.A DrVoltsPerSecond

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ӏ wаs wonԁering if yоu evеr considered сhanging thе page layout of
your website? Its very wеll written; I love whаt уouve
got to say. But maybe you could a little mοгe in thе way of content sο people
сould connеct with it better. Youѵe got
an awful lot of teхt foг only having onе
or two piсtureѕ. Maybe you could ѕpace іt οut betteг?


Alsο visit my page: megass