Sunday, December 9, 2007

On The Matter of Golfing



Since this is blog posting marathon night, I'll keep my post relatively simple and sweet.

I played golf since....9th grade, I think. I do it every Wednesday in those days, so it's right after school, or I have lunch in Supermall and then go to the golfing course at Bintaro (Mind you, not the full 18-hole course but a training ground for practicing shots). I used to have a trainer who guides on how to do the eloquent and elite sport that is golf. He was very insightful and patient; he knows where did I'm doing it wrong....

...and then he would suggest tips and tricks for me to do it right. One time, When I was swinging the golf stick, it was not the ball that flew, the stick flew from my hand! Good thing it didn't hurt anybody, since there was few people in the court.

Now, evaluating my techniques....
I'm actually more comfortable with drivers since they pack a lot of distance and they're relatively lighter than irons. When I practice using drivers most of the shots I take go long distance, well over 175 meters, but it's rarely dead straight. If it's not curving to the left or right, it can bounce of 5 meters from the pin and leave me spinning with my stick like an idiot. And sometimes in my follow-throughs I spin the stick above my head in a quarter horizontal circular spin, which is called an unorthodox swing, if I can remember....
In irons, however, I have less chances of getting the shots where they are. Sometimes it goes high and far, sometimes it's low, straight and short, probably about 20 meters. But then aside from those shots, I have experienced perfectly good shots which I can be proud of...for 3 minutes or so.
On wedges, I still suck at it, partly because I haven't practiced with it much, and the feeling of the swing is different from irons because reliance on accuracy is vital and less power would be needed. You need skill to chip a ball to the green really close to the golf pin as possible. finally, on putters, I still haven't had the golfer's feeling to adjust my power and swing to chip it in the hole. Maybe there's ore to it than just swinging the putter ever so slightly. Maybe there's more to it than reading the green.

All in all, I'm still amateur in this sport, but I like playing it, and I would strive to be better at it.

Cheerio.
Regards from the schizophrenically psychotic retard,
Yoga Pradana A.K.A. Dr VoltsPerSecond

No comments: