Sunday, December 9, 2007

World Without Break

Text messages come in each time I blink my eyes, meetings are happening each day in several different places and even countries. Those crashing stock market of 2027 made the world seemed to be an interpose between crashing and evolving. Each day is a busy day for me as a management consultant where I would find struggled companies trying to stand on themselves, until they would fall back and called me to ‘repair’ the principals and to create new transformation in them. I woke up at 5 this morning to board the chartered plane with the board of directors, destination Maldives, where Berkshire Hathaway. Co. just builds a pampering spa resorts with the most exquisite view I could imagine.
The tires’ squealed, those gave me sign that the plane has arrived. As the stewardess clear the cabin pressure and opened the door, the whole atmosphere changed, from the polluted Jakarta city into a natural but simply cordial environment of beaches. Jeeps fetched directly from the runway and brought us to Club Med. Franchise of resorts which could be found only in paradise. To gather with Stakeholders and managements, we met in seaside cafĂ©. As the butler delivers the hot espresso, I looked at him into jealousy. He has the best job on earth, serving in a 5 star resort in Maldives, deserted from the city busy experience and a stress free job while he could work in day shift and spends the rest of the day at home.
‘Unexpectedly’, my secretary called and arranged me a meeting 3 hours after I departed from Maldives with the Indonesian Minister of Industry to talk face to face about the future retail market which is getting more aggressive since last year. It affects my schedule basically, the need of people to build their company fast in order to keep the phase of people’s demand in more new products. All these affect my personal life by the way. I come home at midnight and still have a pack of papers to do. When I flash my thought back to those ages when I was still sitting in classroom, doing my writing workshops imagining what I will be in the future, I was telling of how I was going to be a person with great wealth of mental relaxation without any work stress or busy life.
After the meeting with the Minister, I had to depart to Singapore and attend the wedding of Lie Sien Long, Singapore senior prime minister, son’s wedding in 2 hours. It is going to be another boring wedding where I will meet the same person again and again.
When I arrived in the Istana Presiden Singapura, there were a lot of fat corrupted Indonesian businessman and officials attended the wedding. They are government’s enemy but they are my clients. All those bourgeoisie Forbes’ listed people with shining suits and diamonds tried to pursue the government to make “love letters” so they could buy lands in cheap price. Suddenly someone who I have not met for long time was standing in front of me. It was Mr. James, the owner of Wira Medical Center. We had a conversation and I was surprised of how his life was so “chill” and he really enjoyed his work. I was really confounded how my life is amazingly dull.
On my way back to my house, I thought of this busy life, of how success I am in making my self as a dumb workaholic. Giant companies with zero leisure hours are nothing and thousands clients without time to enjoy golfing with friends are mentally bankrupt… At some point, I wish I could be a young boy who is playing with everything he could find. Someone who always has leisure as first thought and also someone who has a lot of dumb fun friends to hang out with, not a Chinese toy making company owner who mind their own business only…All these emotions and thoughts went through my mind on the way back to my house.
But, as I arrived at home and opened the door slowly so I do not wake up anybody at this time, already I heard the best voice of all which gave me a giant relief….
His tiny feet stepped down the stairs and shouted:
” Daddy’s home! Daddy’s home!!!....

No comments: